For those of you who are members of a book club, here are some book club reading guide discussion questions.
BOOK CLUB READING GUIDE
Discussion Questions for Abandoned in Search of Rainbows
- Did knowing in advance that she was going to be adopted by Betty and Bob prove to benefit or hinder little Kim? Under what circumstances do you think it would be better for a young child to learn later on, or not at all, that s/he has been “chosen” to be adopted? Why?
- Why do you believe the author titled her life story as she did? Can you identify instances when each element comes into play? (Abandonment. Seeking. Rainbows.)
- Did you notice additional issues or themes? What are they, and how did they play out for Kim, personally, professionally and spiritually? And yes, sexually?
- In what way, if at all, do you think ‘nurture’ rather than ‘nature’ (or vice-versa) may have guided Kim to trust her intuitive “knowing”?
- Can you identify what Kim needed to learn about herself to make the leap from where she was to where she deeply desired to be? And which character trait(s) got in the way of making her dreams come true? And which served her extremely well?
- Did you come away from Kim’s story with a new understanding about your own life, others in your life, and life itself? What scene in this book most resonated with you? What is the connection?
- Where do you tend to be, and what are you doing at those times when you feel the happiest?